Think about the things you’re obsessed with. Now narrow them down into categories (books, music, shows, movies). What’s your #1 show? For me, it’s The Office. I should note that My So-Called Life, Freaks and Geeks, and Dawson’s Creek are included when it comes to my hardcore fangirl obsessions. I should also note that I ranked #1 in the Dawson’s Creek Trivia Challenge back in the early days of Facebook. Okay, I was only #1 for like a day (this Australian girl was always beating me with her scary knowledge of everyone’s license plate numbers and birthdays). But still. My obsessions don’t play.
You know how you feel a sense of ownership with your fave show? Like no one could possibly know anywhere near as much as you do about it, including those super obscure details you only know because you froze the screen to read that address/note/flyer? That’s totally me when it comes to The Office. Which is why, when Carmen and Layla were visiting this summer with their incredibly cool parents, I challenged them to the Ultimate Office Throwdown.
We immediately bonded over our love for all things Office the second we met. We spent hours tossing around quotes, reenacting scenes and cracking up over the kind of inside jokes only hardcore Office freaks like us would understand. I would have been impressed with anyone who could match my Office skills like they did. But Carmen and Layla are in middle school. That made them way more impressive. Could I let some middle school boy best me in the world of Jam? It was time to throw down, girl power style.
Carmen and I wrote 20 questions each (Layla also wrote some good ones!). We were not allowed to consult the show or anything online. Our questions and answers were strictly from memory. We had the option of challenging if we didn’t agree with an answer. But please. We’re so hardcore the answers had been burned into our brains long ago. If you think we tossed out easy stuff like What does Dwight grow on his farm?, think again. We didn’t call it the Ultimate Office Throwdown for nothing.
Here is a sampling of my trivia questions. These were the hardest ones I could think of with answers on the spot. If you love The Office, you might want to challenge yourself with these. The answers are listed at the end of this post.
Ultimate Office Throwdown Questions
1. How many words per minute do Pam and Jim type?
2. What is the street address of Dunder Mifflin?
3. When Michael wants to do Yankee Swap at the Christmas party, what does Jim say Yankee Swap is called? What does Pam say they call Yankee Swap in her family?
4. When Michael cooks his foot on the George Foreman Grill, what does he ask Ryan to get at the gas station that they didn’t have? Which town is the gas station in?
5. At Pam’s art show, what does Michael have in his pocket?
6. How much did Michael pay for the iPod he gave Ryan for Secret Santa?
7. At Dwight’s wedding, what is the first thing Dwight says when he sees Michael? What is Michael’s response?
8. When Dwight meets with Jan secretly trying to steal Michael’s managing job, near which outlet do they meet?
9. What new nickname does Andy give Jim the morning of Jim’s job interview in New York?
10. What is the name of Jim’s avatar in Second Second Life? What does Pam call his avatar?
11. When Dwight is taken to the hospital for a concussion, what does he tell Michael his middle name is?
12. What are Michael and Jim’s final lunch orders when Michael takes Jim to Hooters?
13. What time is Michael’s birth moment?
Dude, Carmen was crazy good at answering these. The throwdown was a tie! And we had the best non-coincidence after. We all went to Central Park. The kids were climbing a tall boulder. This couple walking by looked up at the kids on the boulder and said, “Hardcore parkour!” No one jumped into a Vance Refrigeration box, though.
Ready for the answers?
Ultimate Office Throwdown Answers
1. Pam – 90 wpm. Jim – 65 wpm.
2. 1725 Slough Avenue
3. Jim – Nasty Christmas. Pam – White Elephant.
4. Yams. Carbondale.
5. A Chunky bar
7. Dwight: Michael. I can’t believe you came. Michael: That’s what she said.
8. Liz Claiborne
9. Big Haircut
10. Jim Samtanko. Philly Jim.
12. Michael – Gourmet hotdog. Jim – Ham and cheese sandwich.
13. 11:23 am
So. How did you do?!