Do I have to tell you that it’s been a horrible week? Of course not. The tragedy in Boston was an absolute nightmare. I remember the days and weeks and months after September 11 here in New York. We weren’t sure if another attack was about to happen. Every time I heard a low-flying plane, I braced myself. I avoided taking the subway whenever I could. And I kept my old-school phone with the twisty cord after I got a cordless one just in case I ever need it.
But we eventually emerged from the fear. The depression. The anger. We eventually resumed our normal lives. We will never forget. But we will not let evil dictate who we are. Because if we allow idiots to prevent us from loving life, we encourage more idiots to bust out the crazy. My response to people polluting the world with negative energy is to radiate even more positive energy. So this post is all about the goodness.
1. The first bit of goodness I’d like to share is brought to you by Judi W., first prize winner of the Keep Holding On paperback contest. Her zine cover is super inspirational. Thanks for keeping us where the light is, Judi!
2. You probably know that I’m a massive Flight of the Conchords fangirl. I promise not to go off on a rant about why the best shows ever like Freaks and Geeks and My So-Called Life were only on for one season while mindless shows like America’s Real Hoarder Housewives are on for what feels like an eternity. Flight of the Conchords was only on for two brilliant seasons. It’s just night right, you guys. The loss is palpable.
So how happy was I when my boyfriend took me to the Flight of the Conchords conference room at HBO?
Ah yeah. Goodness squared, baby. All that conference room needs is an oven. Then Jemaine could do the talking oven. “Let’s bake a cake!”
3. You might have heard a rumor that I’m turning 40 on May Day. Not sure how that happened. However, I’ve checked my records and apparently it’s true. I’m not into throwing parties for myself. But this is 40. So I’m having a Fabulous at 40 party at a swanky lounge in Tribeca. Months ago when Fabulous at 40 was in its initial planning stages, I visualized the cake very clearly. Vanilla funfetti cake. Vanilla buttercream frosting. Fabulous written across the cake in hot pink script. Rainbow sprinkles. And instead of candles, one sparkler. Guess what cake we’ll be enjoying at Fabulous at 40? That one! Well, almost. Lady M is doing strawberry shortcake instead of vanilla. Even better. Yay for unexpected goodness.
4. Speaking of birthdays, my all-time fave book, The Little Prince, turned 70 on April 6. I celebrated with these:
Why yes, you are looking at Birthday Cake Good Humor bars. They are new. They are delicious. And these were two for five. Good Humor always brings the goodness. But trust me. These take goodness to a whole other level. Highly recommended.
5. Finally, much exciting book goodness is coming up in the next few weeks. This weekend I’ll be chilling with my fellow book nerds at IRA in San Antonio. Here’s where you can find me. Next week Keep Holding On comes out in paperback on April 23. Stay tuned for more giveaways on Twitter and Facebook. Then I’ll be gearing up for the release of my seventh novel, All I Need, on May 21. Of course I’ll post my event schedule, contests, and related funtivities right here.
Thanks to Willa’s Ramblings for this sweet All I Need review. And thanks to everyone else who snagged advance copies and let me know you enjoyed the book. I’m hoping it will be one of those romantic summer reads that’s perfect for the beach.
Wishing you a beautiful weekend filled with much goodness. Let’s keep us where the light is 🙂