The shiny new paperback editions of When It Happens and Take Me There have been released! I just received my author copies, so you know what that means. It’s time for another contest so I can give away some books. Because there’s no way all of these are fitting in my place:
I’m calling this the Shiny New Contest. Two prizes will be awarded. First prize is a copy of each new paperback edition. The runner-up will receive one copy of their choice. To enter, compose a haiku (3-5-3 or 5-7-5) that relates to a topic from any of my books. Some suggestions: soul mates, fate, living in the Now, taking a chance, loneliness, waiting, wanting. The haiku that speak to me the most will be the winners.
In case you haven’t learned about this form of poetry yet, a haiku consists of three lines. In a 3-5-3 haiku, the first line has 3 syllables, the second line has 5 syllables, and the third line has 3 syllables. As an example, here’s one I wrote (with explanations):
winter satellite (title)
sharp and bright (3 syllables)
waxing crescent moon (5 syllables)
best nightlight (3 syllables)
Shiny New Contest rules:
1. Email your haiku to me at friendly.neighbor [at] hotmail.com. Please do not post your haiku in the comments section, to protect the privacy of your entry. The two winning haiku will be posted here when the winners are announced.
2. You may enter more than one haiku.
3. Include your full name and mailing address with your entry.
4. Entries must be received by 11:11 pm on Sunday, February 28.
5. This contest is only open to US residents. However, if you live abroad and have a contact in the States who can receive the prize for you, it can be sent to their address.
I can’t wait to be dazzled by your creativity!