Here’s a list of things that are hot.
1. NCTE and ALAN were absolutely amazing. I was like a high-quality sponge. Not those bootleg discount garage sale 99-cent store ones, but a sponge that can retain a lot. I absorbed so much brilliance from authors and panelists that I know this draft of book three will be better because of it. Everything is connected and all.
2. If you’re wondering what my next book is about, you can read an excerpt of Take Me There on my website.
3. The Rockefeller Christmas Tree has green lights this year. And I don’t mean their color is green. The lights are energy-efficient LEDs. By switching to these lights, every day the tree will save as much energy as a family uses in a month for a 2,000-square-foot home. Also, a green roof was installed at Rockefeller Plaza that will prevent over two million pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere.
4. I am currently ranked #5 on the Facebook Dawson’s Creek Trivia Challenge. Actually, that’s not hot. It’s unacceptable. Any ranking other than #1 is a lame ranking. It’s just not good enough when I’ve seen those eps so many times that I can play them in my head. There’s love here, people. But then the page also says I’m ranked #1 out of 11,928 players, so I’m not sure how it works exactly.
5. Teens from Urban Word NYC performed today at ALAN. They blew the whole entire room away. I want to use part of Jamila Lyiscott’s piece in book three (she’s trilingual – if you were there, you know what I mean). An excerpt of Tatyana Fatima Cabrera’s “Rebel” is featured in Take Me There and I want to keep getting the word out about these incredible teen voices. Tatyana was my student and the winner of NYC’s biggest poetry slam and will be featured here in an interview soon. Go on with your fine self, sista girl!