Happy summer solstice week, friendly neighbors! Summer officially begins this Saturday, June 21, at 6:51am EST. Bring on those summer nights.
I have a bunch of notes about stuff I want to share with you. As the bunch has gotten a bit out of control, I decided that a top ten list of the most important notes was in order. So here you go…
1. Which movie boy character is more adorable than Lloyd Dobler? That is a trick question. No one is more adorable than Lloyd Dobler. Who else would kick broken glass out of the way for Diane Court?
Say Anything… turned 25 this year. Respect. Enjoy these 15 Life Lessons from Lloyd Dobler.
2. Stay Bookish is doing a giveaway of a signed copy of Now and Forever. Plus they look at the Now and Forever playlist with a Story Soundtrack. You can listen to the complete Now and Forever playlist on Spotify.
3. Am I giving away books too? Of course I am. You can enter my Seventh Annual Ginormous Contest to win FOUR signed copies of my books! Show me your musical creativity in the form of a video, performance, fan art, original sound…however you want to express your musical brilliance!
4. In other book news, The LAMP is auctioning off a complete set of my first edition signed hardcover books to benefit their Media Breaker project. The LAMP brings media literacy training to students, parents, and teachers, encouraging everyone to perceive media messages in thoughtful, intelligent ways. Media Breaker allows you to remix and criticize commercials, news, music videos and more. As my good friend and co-founder DC says, Media Breaker is inspiring hundreds of little Jon Stewarts. What’s not to love about that?
6. PRN radio interviewed me about Now and Forever, why my main motto is Dream Big, and how my personal love life influences my books. You can listen to the podcast here, starting at 32:55.
7. Fun fact time for my fellow NYC trivia geeks. You know those orange discs on top of street lights? They are photo cells that turn the street light on and off. What about those orange bulbs on the side of some street light poles? They are vestiges of New York’s fire-box era, indicating that an emergency box to call the fire department is nearby.
I don’t know about you, but I feel way better that this mystery has finally been solved.
8. Skeptical about whether true love exists? I can tell you from personal experience that it does. Which is why I write book after book about soul mates. I want my readers to know that the kind of love they want exists. But don’t just take my word for it. The Lovumentary has collected the most epic love stories all across the country. Read them and be inspired.
9. I’m more of a scrapbooking than a quilting person, but this quilt freaking rules.
A quilt featuring cupcakes and strawberries? Is my kind of quilt.
10. I am definitely in the running to set a world record for playing Happy on mental repeat. That song is my summer jam. Every time it comes on, no matter where I am, I get super happy. Even when I ordered oatmeal at brunch to try it because I don’t like oatmeal but I feel like I should so I wanted to give it another try even though I knew I probably wouldn’t like it.
Did I suddenly like oatmeal? No. Was I regretting my choice of oatmeal instead of fruit salad? Yes. You all know how obsessed I am with summer fruit. But it wasn’t a consuming regret. Trying new things (or giving old things another try) is important. Even if it’s oatmeal that doesn’t taste any better after putting cinnamon and honey on it. As a Taurus, I tend to be a bit, um, inflexible about my opinions. I know what I like. I know what I don’t like. But I also know that change is key. Change is what makes our lives better than we ever imagined. Change is why Diane Court let Lloyd Dobler push that broken glass out of her way. And why she let him fly away with her.
Here’s to a spectacular summer filled with happy sounds, true love, and positive change :)